It will prevent companies from legally selling mining rigs with the
improvement, which stems access to the improvement in patented
countries. Or miners can export rigs with the improvement from companies
that sell it in non-patented countries.

It is not purely a software thing - it is intended to be used by
modifying hardware. From the paper: "The performance gain is achieved
through a high-­level optimization of the Bitcoin mining algorithm which
allows for drastic reduction in gate count on the mining chip. AsicBoost
is applicable to all types of mining hardware and chip designs."

Ultimately though, I think you're right in that Bitcoin's mining and
decentralized design combined with an international economy makes
patenting mining algorithms effectively pointless.

Mustafa