The second like "2)" has a link to the paper:
http://www.math.rwth-aachen.de/~Timo.Hanke/AsicBoostWhitepaperrev5.pdf

which does discuss the fact that it is "patent-pending".   Likewise it
discusses ASIC improvements.  Avoiding patents that impact bitcoin and are
not freely licensed, is something that is worthwhile for discussion.