On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 10:29:54PM +0200, Eric Voskuil wrote:

> > On Jun 28, 2016, at 10:14 PM, Peter Todd <p...@petertodd.org> wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 08:35:26PM +0200, Eric Voskuil wrote:
> >> Hi Peter,
> >>
> >> What in this BIP makes a MITM attack easier (or easy) to detect, or
> >> increases the probability of one being detected?
> >
> > BIP151 gives users the tools to detect a MITM attack.
> >
> > It's kinda like PGP in that way: lots of PGP users don't properly check
> > keys,
>
> PGP requires a secure side channel for transmission of public keys. How does
> one "check" a key of an anonymous peer? I know you well enough to know you
> wouldn't trust a PGP key received over an insecure channel.
>
> All you can prove is that you are talking to a peer and that communications
> in the session remain with that peer. The peer can be the attacker. As Jonas
> has acknowledged, authentication is required to actually guard against MITM
> attacks.

Easy: anonymous peers aren't always actually anonymous.

A MITM attacker can't easily distinguish communications between two nodes that
randomly picked their peers, and nodes that are connected because their
operators manually used -addnode to peer; in the latter case the operators can
check whether or not they're being attacked with an out-of-band key check.