On 04/09/2017 05:20 PM, Erik Aronesty via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Have you read the cuckoo cycle paper?  Finding cycles in massive graphs
> is just about the worst thing to use an ASIC for.

It's actually the best thing to use an ASIC tightly coupled with DRAM
for - for example, HBM and HBM2 which reduce latency and increase
throughput by placing the DRAM on an interposer with the ASIC die, or
even putting the logic on the DRAM die itself.

It would need at least proof that existing chips using HBM are ideal for
Cuckoo Cycle (unlikely) and that no DRAM manufacturer could ever be
coaxed into making an ASIC (even harder to guarantee).

I think any long term PoW change is irrelevant to the review or adoption
of the covert ASICBOOST BIPs, given the many unresolved problems of such
a change.