Paul,

> The confusion below stems from his conflation of several different ideas.

I'm right here, are you having a conversation with me or are you on a stage
talking to an audience?

> FYI that document is nearly two years old, and although it is still
> overwhelmingly accurate, new optimizations allow us (I think) to push the
> waiting period to several weeks and the total ACK counting period up to
> several months.

What does that have to do with my question? The counting period, if I
understood correctly, is something miners do, not full nodes.

Also, if the document is old and/or outdated, do you happen to have a link to a
more update-to-date version of the spec? It would be helpful for review.

> Because if a node doesn't have the sidechain's information, it will just
> assume every withdrawal is valid. This is comparable to someone who still
> hasn't upgraded to support P2SH, in cases [DC#0] and [#1].

Right, for [DC#0] and [DC#1], but for [DC#2] an [DC#3] you marked it as "Yes"
without substantiating why you did so.

> Again, from the perspective of a mainchain user, every withdrawal is valid.

And that is not how P2SH works.

> [DC#2] and [DC#3] would certainly have an interest in understanding what is
> going on, but that has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Bitcoin Core
> and so is off-topic for this mailing list.

How is that an answer to my question?

What does "[DC#2] and [DC#3] would certainly have an interest in understanding
what is going on" mean?

In P2SH, all upgraded nodes will reject invalid P2SH transactions, period.

What exactly would [DC#2] and [DC#3] nodes do when faced with an invalid WT^
transaction — invalid in the sense that it contains funds which miners are
stealing?

Again, in P2SH miners cannot steal funds, because all full nodes have a fully
automatic enforcement policy.

Kind regards,
Greg Slepak

--
Please do not email me anything that you are not comfortable also sharing with
the NSA.