OK, so nForkId 0 is exactly the "valid on all chains" specifier I was
asking about, cool.  And your LN example (and nLockTime txs in general)
illustrate why it's preferable to implement a generic replay protection
scheme like yours *in advance*, rather than before each fork: all ad hoc RP
schemes I know of break old txs on one of the chains, even when that's not
desirable - ie, they offer no wildcard like nForkId 0.

One comment on your LN example: users would have to take note that nForkId
0 txs would be valid not only on future forks, but on *past* forks too.
Eg, if BCH had been deployed with nForkId 2, then a user setting up BTC LN
txs now with nForkId 0 would have to be aware that those txs would be valid
for BCH too.  Of course the user could avoid this by funding from a
BTC-only address, but it is a potential minor pitfall of nForkId 0.  (Which
I don't see any clean way around.)