On 27. 01. 19 8:36, rha...@protonmail.com wrote:
> Thanks Adam,
>
> I have fixed the mistakes you have pointed out:
> https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/754
>
> Thanks for the detailed look!
>
>> but its virtue of steganographic hiding means only minimal uptake
>> is still enormously interesting and worth pursuing; that's my current
>> feeling.
>
> I very much agree =) I really think anything that (silently) breaks the
> assumption of common ownership of transaction inputs offers outsized benefits
> for the whole ecosystem.
>
> One other idea I have  is (way) better support for moving utxo's between
> wallets. The least controversial use case is moving funds between wallets you
> own. Like I might want to move *specific* utxo's from/to my joinmarket
> wallet, but not create a (privacy losing / expensive) transaction. Both core
> and joinmarket fail at this at a practical point of view.

(tangential, but yes coin control in JM is an obviously necessary
feature and will be done, I just don't have time).

> Like imho it'd be pretty cool having a standardized format for
> (txid:vout:privatekey) with wallets showing it as "External UTXO" and
> preferentially spending it (and wallet not automatically importing any other
> utxo from that address).
>
> Taken a bit further (this is the part which everyone hates) you could send
> someone money (or withdraw it from a service) by giving a person. It's not
> generally useful (for obvious reasons), but there's a lot of cases I think
> it's super cool.

Is there a missing word. "by giving a person.."? Not actually sure what
you're getting at here but I suspect it's again tangential to this BIP
discussion.

> ---
>
> Getting back on topic, without trying to do a point-by-point reply, I agree
> with pretty much everything you said but I am reluctant to make any changes.
>
> I don't meant to be obtuse or anything, but I strongly believe the limiting
> factor to adoption to all these protocols is actually just getting people to
> implement it. I made multiple implementations of bustapay from both the
> sending/receiving end, so I could try develop the easiest to implement system
> that is still practical.

You know, there's considerable evidence to the contrary, I'd argue: this
idea *has* been implemented already three times: by yourself, by myself
and by Samourai. And in fully incompatible ways :) So I think the
limiting factor is in fact creating a standard that a reasonable number
of people could agree with (and I like operational definitions, so
subjective as it is, I like the goal of "good/clear enough that it could
be incorporated into something like BtcPayServer")

> For instance I like PSBT and it's nice in theory. I actually had an original
> implementation using it, which is how I found some bugs in the core and
> golang version of PSBT). But in practice it's hugely overkill and
> significantly increases the implementation complexity complexity and is
> poorly supported. Switching to just a raw transaction actually made
> everything easier. (And that's not to criticise PSBT, I would definitely want
> to use it in other contexts).

But this relates back to my first "generic" point that you haven't
addressed here - protocol versioning and the possibility of more than
one option. Perhaps more realistic (debatable): have the current version
be non-PSBT but with a plan to have a version bump with PSBT in future.
Stuff like that. It seems crazy to actually long term reject it.

> Anyway, a big motivation for me even writing it as a BIP was to formalize my
> little anti-DOS trick of privately creating a "template transaction" which
> can just be dumped on the network as punishment. So if nothing else,
> hopefully I'll have demonstrated it's a pretty practical way of doing things.

I don't want to be that guy, but this was a central part of the proposal
that came of the meetup last summer and is in Haywood's blogpost. I mean
if you came up it with separately, then cool :) But I was there, that
was established immediately as the right way of doing this to avoid a
trivial attack.
What might have confused you is all that stuff about multiple candidates
and even ZKP approaches - those were just extra ideas about making it
really secure at large scale; but those ideas don't quite meet the goal
(for various reasons); well, arguably. The basic anti-DOS of an initial
non-coinjoin was sorta central.
(Also I'm noting you didn't respond to my critique of your "always use
the same contributions" defence; I mean, probably that's fine, it was
only really saying it isn't perfect. Was just curious to hear
your/others thoughts on it).

> --
>
> Also your analysis on "Unnecessary Input Heuristic" is pretty cool, but I
> also don't like telling people to "avoid the UIH2" without providing the
> actual algo they should use. But really I think it's better off in a sort of
> article "how to pick contributed inputs" or something, as while it's nice
> it's not a huge deal and there's a lot of debatable tradeoffs that can/should
> be used. For instance the implementation I wrote for bustabit.com currently
> just heavily biases tainted inputs (e.g. ones associated with address reuse).

Good point about algo.
I wrote my best effort at a procedure here:
https://gist.github.com/AdamISZ/4551b947789d3216bacfcb7af25e029e#gistcomment-2799709

I asked for comments on it but got none back so far (gists are terrible
for this unfortunately, perhaps I'll have more luck on the list).

I would argue that this issue *should* be mentioned on the BIP. A *huge*
part of what makes PayJoin/BustaPay of interest is the steganographic
feature, if you don't pay attention to this then it doesn't look like a
payment (caveat.-->).
The counterargument is Laurent's statistics which I previously linked,
suggesting that maybe 30% of txs violate this anyway, today. I'm not
sure about that, will need more analysis; Core's SRD algo may be one
reason, but anyway ... better to make things look like payments.

It doesn't hurt to prompt an implementer to do this; whether it's
feasible in that specific wallet situation or not is up to them; whether
they want to go hog wild and control percentages of UIH1 and UIH2 and
whatnot is there business, or they can totally ignore it - but without
it being mentioned in the BIP, they may not even think of it.

A last point, you also don't see value in being more explicit about
simple things like transaction version and locktime? Even if you think
these things should *not* be controlled, e.g. the protocol should allow
either transaction version, then it'd be better to explicitly say so.