Hi ZmnSCPxj.

> There is a position that fullnodes must be able to get a view of the UTXO
set, and extension blocks (which are invisible to pre-extension-block
fullnodes) means that fullnodes no longer have an accurate view of the UTXO
set.
> SegWit still provides pre-SegWit fullnodes with a view of the UTXO set,
although pre-SegWit fullnodes could be convinced that a particular UTXO is
anyone-can-spend even though they are no longer anyone-can-spend.
> Under this point-of-view, then, extension block is "not" soft fork.

There's a way to do CT without an extension block and while still
maintaining a correct UTXO set for old nodes. Perhaps it is similar what
you meant with this comment (I believe you don't need to do a hardfork
though)

>  Then it becomes impossible to move from confidential to public
transactions with a value more than this counter, thus preventing inflation
even if a future QC breach allows confidential transaction value
commitments to be opened to any value.
> (do note that a non-extension-block approach is a definite hardfork)

Anyway, the method goes like this:

Funds that go in to CT-mode are placed in a consensus/miner controlled
reserve pool. To go out from CT back to normal, funds are then transferred
back to the user from this pool.
CT transactions seen from a non-upgraded node will be a transaction with 0
sat outputs. The actual rangeproof commitment could be placed in the script
output or perhaps somewhere else.

To enter CT-mode, you'll need to make a commitment. The transaction
contains two outputs, one to the reserve pool containing the funds that can
only be reclaimed when you go back to normal and one CT-output that you can
start doing CT transactions from.
I believe this could be made seamlessly with just a new bech32 address
specifically for CT. Sending to a CT address could be done as easily as
sending to a P2SH. In other words, it doesn't have to be two steps to send
to someone over at CT space.

> It is "evil" soft fork since older nodes are forced to upgrade as their
intended functionality becomes impossible.
> In this point-of-view, it is no better than a hard fork, which at least
is very noisy about how older fullnode versions will simply stop working.

Regarding normal extension blocks, I think it is definitely better than a
hardfork since there's no way to be derailed from the network, even though
you do not understand the rules fully.

Sidenote, I think Trey Del Bonis is right regarding the terminology here,
evil softforks/soft hardforks usually mean that you abandon the old chain
to force all nodes to upgrade (https://petertodd.org/2016/forced-soft-forks
).

Best
Hampus