Hi Sjors,

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 2:12 PM Sjors Provoost <sj...@sprovoost.nl> wrote:

> Transaction weight currently doesn't consider OP codes, it only considers
> if bytes are part of the witness. Changing that to something more akin to
> Ethereums gas pricing sounds too complicated to even consider.

I did say per executed OP_CODESEPARATOR, but upon reflection, I agree that
we'd like to know the weight without execution.  I think counting the
number of occurrences of OP_CODESEPARATOR (perhaps at the same time we
count OP_CHECKSIG operations?) is a reasonable compromise, and increasing
the weight according to my proposed formula based on that count (ideally
we'd take OP_IF branches into account).

> I would also like to believe that whoever went through the trouble of
> using OP_CODESEPARATOR reads this list.

I wish this were the case too, but I don't think it is reasonable to assume
that (even maaku isn't subscribed
<https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15482#issuecomment-469836918>),
and I don't even think it is fair to assume such a someone necessarily even
speaks English.