Hi Varunram,

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 3:41 PM Varunram Ganesh
<varunramgan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I like your idea of a signet as it would greatly help test reorgs and stuff
> without having to experiment with regtest. But I'm a bit concerned about
> running a common signet (Signet1) controlled by a trusted entity. I guess if
> someone wants to test signet on a global scale, they could spin up a couple
> nodes in a couple places (and since it is anyway trusted, they can choose to
> run it on centralised services like AWS). Another concern is that the
> maintainer might have unscheduled work, emergencies, etc and that could
> affect how people test stuff on. This would also mean that we need people to
> run signet1 nodes in parallel with current testnet nodes (one could argue
> that Signet is trusted anyway and this doesn't matter, still)
>
> I'm sure you would have considered these while designing, so would be great
> to hear your thoughts.

For starters, I assume that the signer would run an automated script
that generated blocks on regular intervals without requiring manual
interaction. So even if the signer went on a vacation, the network
would keep on ticking. I also assume the signer would be running a
faucet service so users could get coins as needed. Ultimately though,
if a signer ended up vanishing or being unreliable, people would just
set up a new signet with a different signer and use that instead, so
ultimately it's not a big deal.