You're right, I didn't remember the whole procedure. You provide the
80-byte header in the spend script, duplicate it on the stack, hash it, and
compare to what OP_CHECKBLOCKATHEIGHT gives you. Then you do bit masking on
the header with OP_AND to extract the difficulty. You can compare two
compressed difficulties directly by using more bit masking to separate the
exponent and mantissa.