On Monday, April 26th, 2021 at 9:43 PM, David A. Harding via bitcoin-dev
<bitcoin-dev@lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 05:31:50PM -0400, Matt Corallo via bitcoin-dev wrote:
>
> > In general, I think its time we all agree the BIP process has simply failed
> >
> > and move on. Luckily its not really all that critical and proposed protocol
> >
> > documents can be placed nearly anywhere with the same effect.

I like the idea of decentralizing the BIPs process. It is a historical artifact
that the bips repository is part of the same organization that bitcoin core is
part of. But there shouldn't be the perception that standardization is driven
by that, or that there is any kind of (non-trivial) gatekeeping.

I understand where this perception is coming from, though. There being 111 PRs
open at https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pulls indicates that there is some kind
of bottleneck. I hope adding more BIP editors can mitigate this somewhat.

Though it also happens that the BIP author simply don't care about changes
anymore and doesn't respond, in which case the PR lingers without any fault
from the BIPs maintainer. So something is to be said of having the BIP
repository mirror/aggregate author's own work trees, and changes needing to be
proposed there instead of "upstream".

-W