>To implement Winternitz we need some kind of limited-repeat construct, which
>is not available in SCRIPT, but may be emulatable with enough `OP_IF` and
>sheer brute force.
But what you gain in smaller signatures, you lose in a more complex
and longer SCRIPT, and there are limits to SCRIPT size (in order to
limit the processing done in each node).

Using depth 4 Winternitz would increase the number of instructions in
SCRIPT by 4*(signature bits/2) instructions, but decrease the
signature size by (signature bits/2) hash preimages. Given that
instructions are significantly smaller in size than the hash preimages
used, it seems like this would significantly reduce total size.

>Merkle signatures trade off shorter pubkeys for longer signatures (signatures
>need to provide the hash of the *other* preimage you are not revealing), but
>in the modern post-SegWit Bitcoin context both pubkeys and signatures are
>stored in the witness area, which have the same weight, thus it is actually a
>loss compared to Lamport.

I wasn't proposing using plain merkle signatures, rather I was
thinking about something where if particular chunks of the message fit
a pattern you could release a seed higher in the commitment tree. For
instance 1,1,1 could be signed as by releasing H(01||H(01||H(01||x))),
 H(11||H(11||H(11||x))), H(21||H(21||H(21||x))), or by releasing X.
However, you would want to only release X in that one specific case
(1,1,1) but no others. Again this would bloat the SCRIPT and decrease
signature size but at a favorable ratio.

I am not convinced anyone should do these things, but they are fun to
think about and I suspect with more thought such signature sizes and
SCRIPT sizes could be even further reduced.