On 2022-02-07 14:34, Billy Tetrud via bitcoin-dev wrote:
I do think that UTXO set size is something that will need to be
addressed at some point. I liked the idea of utreexo or some other
accumulator as the ultimate solution to this problem.

What about using economic incentives to disincentivize the creation of new UTXOs? Currently, the fee is only charged per byte of space. What if you instead charged a fee of (bytes*byte_weight + net_utxos*utxo_weight)? For example, if utxo_weight=500, then a transaction that creates 2 new UTXOs would cost as if it were 1 KB in size. And a transaction that consolidated 2 UTXOs into one might even get a negative transaction fee (rebate).

Technologically, you'd implement this by lowering the block size cap by max(0, net_utxos_created*utxo_weight). That would be a soft fork, if maybe a contentious one. It's probably also a good idea to limit it at 0, separate from consensus issues, because it means you're not guaranteed to get back whatever you put into it.