> > Even if it is not needed, it is kind of "free" if you take transaction size
> > into account
>
> But it would require an on-chain transaction. We don't want 6 billion people
> to have to send an on-chain transaction all in the same week in order to
> register their preference on something.

I haven’t followed this thread, so apologies if I’m missing some context, but
confirmed tx signaling remains miner signaling.

Regardless, miners are the only actors who can create soft fork compatibility,
so theirs is the only relevant signal. Otherwise people can just fork
themselves at any time using any voting mechanism they want.