On 21.04.2022 14:28, Anthony Towns wrote:
But, if [it's true that "many [...] use cases [...] to use CTV for
are very long term in nature"], that's presumably incompatible
with any sort of sunset that's less than many decades away, so doesn't
seem much better than just having it be available on a signet?

I fully acknowledge that a temporary test can't fully replicate a permanent condition. That said, if people truly believe CTV vaults will significantly enhance their security, wouldn't it be worth using them for most of the deployment? Users would receive both years of added security and the opportunity to convince other Bitcoiners to make CTV permanent by demonstrating real-world usage.

If sunsetting were a good idea, one way to think about implementing it
might be to code it as:

  if (DeploymentActiveAfter(pindexPrev, params, FOO) &&
      !DeploymentActiveAfter(pindexPrev, params, FOO_SUNSET))
  {
      EnforceFoo();
  }

Defining at the outset how we'll signal years later if we want to keep the rules seems intelligent to me.

Thanks!,

-Dave