Good morning Zac,

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2022 at 07:36, ZmnSCPxj <zmnsc...@protonmail.com> wrote
>
> > CTV *can* benefit layer 2 users, which is why I switched from vaguely
> > apathetic to CTV, to vaguely supportive of it.
>

> Other proposals exist that also benefit L2 solutions. What makes you support
> CTV specifically?

It is simple to implement, and a pure `OP_CTV` SCRIPT on a P2WSH / P2SH is only
32 bytes + change on the output and 32 bytes + change on the input/witness,
compared to signature-based schemes which require at least 32 bytes + change on
the output and 64 bytes + change on the witness ***IF*** they use the Taproot
format (and since we currently gate the Taproot format behind actual Taproot
usages, any special SCRIPT that uses Taproot-format signatures would need at
least the 33-byte internal pubkey revelation; if we settle with the old
signature format, then that is 73 bytes for the signature).
To my knowledge as well, hashes (like `OP_CTV` uses) are CPU-cheaper (and
memory-cheaper?) than even highly-optimized `libsecp256k1` signature
validation, and (to my knowledge) you cannot use batch validation for
SCRIPT-based signature checks.
It definitely does not enable recursive covenants, which I think deserve more
general research and thinking before we enable recursive covenants.

Conceptually, I see `OP_CTV` as the "AND" to the "OR" of MAST.
In both cases, you have a hash-based tree, but in `OP_CTV` you want *all* these
pre-agreed cases, while in MAST you want *one* of these pre-agreed cases.

Which is not to say that other proposals do not benefit L2 solutions *more*
(`SIGHASH_ANYPREVOUT` when please?), but other proposals are signature-based
and would be larger in this niche.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj