Good morning Jorge,

> I think people may be scared of potential attacks based on covenants. For
> example, visacoin.
> But there was a thread with ideas of possible attacks based on covenants.
> To me the most scary one is visacoin, specially seeing what happened in
> canada and other places lately and the general censorship in the west, the
> supposed war on "misinformation" going on (really a war against truth imo,
> but whatever) it's getting really scary. But perhaps someone else can be more
> scared about a covenant to add demurrage fees to coins or something, I don't
> know.
> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=278122

This requires *recursive* covenants.

At the time the post was made, no distinction was seen between recursive and
non-recursive covenants, which is why the post points out that covenants suck.
The idea then was that anything powerful enough to provide covenants would also
be powerful enough to provide *recursive* covenants, so there was no
distinction made between recursive and non-recursive covenants (the latter was
thought to be impossible).

However, `OP_CTV` turns out to enable sort-of covenants, but by construction
*cannot* provide recursion.
It is just barely powerful enough to make a covenant, but not powerful enough
to make *recursive* covenants.

That is why today we distinguish between recursive and non-recursive covenant
opcodes, because we now have opcode designs that provides non-recursive
covenants (when previously it was thought all covenant opcodes would provide
recursion).

`visacoin` can only work as a recursive covenant, thus it is not possible to
use `OP_CTV` to implement `visacoin`, regardless of your political views.

(I was also misinformed in the past and ignored `OP_CTV` since I thought that,
like all the other covenant opcodes, it would enable recursive covenants.)

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj