On Wed, Nov 02, 2022 at 10:19:00AM -0400, Greg Sanders wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot one point which is pertinent to this conversation.
>
> *Even with* fullrbf-everywhere and V3, pinning via rule#3 and rule#5 are
> still an issue in coinjoin scenarios.
>
> Each coinjoin adversary can double-spend their coin to either full package
> weight(101kvb),
> or give 24 descendants, which means you quickly pay out the nose in rule#3

...and the attacker also pays out the nose if they're exploiting rule #3.

> or are excluded
> from RBFing it if you have 4+ greifers in your coinjoin violating rule#5.
>
> If we instead narrowed this policy to marking a transaction output as
> opt-in to V3, it gets a bit more interesting. *Unfortunately,
> double-spending counterparties can still cause rule#3 pain, one 100kvb
> package of junk per peer,* but rule#5 violations is at least contained to
> coinjoins with ~50 peers(assuming two transactions booted per input
> double-spent, which would be the V3 max bumped per input).

There's no hard technical reason for rule #5 to even exist. It's simply a
conservative DoS limit to avoid having to do "too much" computation when
processing a replacement in some replacement implementations. We shouldn't
assume it will always exist. And like rule #3 pinning, exploiting it costs
money.