Why wasn't this solution put in place back then? Are there problems with
the design?

While I still think there are unhealthy side-effects of Full-RBF (like more
doublespending at unknowing merchants, after years of FSS protection) I
think discussion of this FSS-RBF feature is worth considering.

--
John Carvalho
CEO, Synonym.to <http://synonym.to/>