Good morning Russel and List,

That is correct. There is a counterparty-compatible project called STAMPS that
breaks up image data into chunks and then embeds the chunks in bare multisig
outputs. here is an example on one:
https://mempool.space/tx/ee9ed76fa2318deb63a24082a8edc73e4ea39a5252bfb1c1e1c02bd02c52f95f
This consumes more space and bloats the UTXO set compared to stuffing data in a
witness.

There are schemes like Pay-to-Contact
([https://bitcoinops.org/en/topics/pay-to-contract-outputs/](https://bitcoinops.org/en/topics/pay-to-contract-outputs/#:~:text=Pay%2Dto%2Dcontract%20protocols%20allow,that%20commits%20to%20that%20text))
 that could be used to tweak a pubkey with a small blob of data, in which case
someone could​ produce a signature proving knowledge of the private key.