Hi Erik,

> currently, there are providers of anonymity services, scaling services,
> custody, and other services layered on top of bitcoin using trust-based and
> federated models.
>
> as bitcoin becomes more popular, these service providers have increasingly
> had a louder "voice" in development and maintenance of the protocol

> is anyone else worried about this?

Yes. I share your concerns about the growing influence of centralized service
providers on Bitcoin's development. Although there is nothing much we can do
about it especially
when trusted, centralized, custodial, federated etc. projects keep getting
funded. Only solution is to build better things and be positive.

Example: Everyone is aware of the risks involved in a project that takes
custody of funds, provide privacy without KYC. There are several examples from
past in which similar
projects with some volume ended up getting shutdown by governments. With
[covenants and statechains][0], it is possible to use bitcoin (p2p ecash) with
privacy and involves no custody.

There are other [benefits][1] of payment pools (w/ covenants) in terms of
privacy. Hopefully we agree to do soft fork in next year or so.

[0]: https://github.com/AdamISZ/pathcoin-poc
[1]: https://gnusha.org/bitcoin-wizards/2019-05-21.log

/dev/fd0
floppy disk guy