Hi,

At SeedHammer we're interested in standard, compact output descriptors to make
self-contained metal engraved backups feasible. To that end, we're proposing a
descriptor format based on the PSBT binary encoding. The format has not reached
widespread consensus, never mind adoption, so at this point we're soliciting
comments before formally proposing it as a BIP.

See [proposal], [implementation] and [playground] for details and examples.

The format is a binary and compact serialization specification for the
[wallet-policies] BIP. Features:

- Based on the binary [BIP174] PSBT format, including re-using the compact
  PSBT_GLOBAL_XPUB encoding for extended keys.
- The descriptor itself is encoded in the same textual format as described
  in BIPs 380-386 (+389).
- Key references (always) use the wallet-policies format @<key-index>.
- Miniscript is trivially supported, except inline keys are not allowed, and
  pk(NAME) expressions are replaced with indexed (@<idx>) key references.
- Metadata such as labels and birthdate blocks are encoded as PSBT
  map entries.

Known issues:

- CBOR vs PSBT. Blockchain Commons believes[0] that a CBOR based format is
better
  because it is a widely used binary encoding standard, whereas we believe the
  complexity of CBOR doesn't justify its cost compared to the PSBT encoding
  already widely supported by wallet software.
- The proposal specifies a separate header and magic; should the format instead
be
  an extension to the PSBT format?

Thanks,

[proposal] https://github.com/BlockchainCommons/Research/issues/135