Hi Peter,

> Altruistic third parties can partially mitigate replacement cycling(1)
attacks
> by simply rebroadcasting the replaced transactions once the replacement
cycle
> completes. Since the replaced transaction is in fact fully valid, and the
> "cost" of broadcasting it has been paid by the replacement transactions,
it can
> be rebroadcast by anyone at all, and will propagate in a similar way to
when it
> was initially propagated. Actually implementing this simply requires code
to be
> written to keep track of all replaced transactions, and detect
opportunities to
> rebroadcast transactions that have since become valid again. Since any
> interested third party can do this, the memory/disk space requirements of
> keeping track of these replacements aren't important; normal nodes can
continue
> to operate exactly as they have before.

I think there is an alternative to altruistic and periodic rebroadcasting
still solving replacement cycling at the transaction-relay level, namely
introducing a local replacement cache.

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/28699

One would keep in bounded memory a list of all seen transactions, which
have entered our mempool at least once at current mempool min fee.

For the full-nodes which cannot afford extensive storage in face of
medium-liquidity capable attackers, could imagine replacement cache nodes
entering into periodic altruistic rebroadcast. This would introduce a
tiered hierarchy of full-nodes participating in transaction-relay. I think
such topology would be more frail in face of any sybil attack or scarce
inbound slots connections malicious squatting.

The altruistic rebroadcasting default rate could be also a source of
amplification attacks, where there is a discrepancy between the feerate of
the rebroadcast traffic and the current dynamic mempool min fee of the
majority of network mempools. As such wasting bandwidth for everyone.

Assuming some medium-liquidity or high-liquidity attackers might reveal any
mitigation as insufficient, as an unbounded number of replacement
transactions might be issued from a very limited number of UTXOs, all
concurrent spends. In the context of multi-party time-sensitive protocol,
the highest feerate spend of an "honest" counterparty might fall under the
lowest concurrent replacement spend of a malicious counterparty, occupying
all the additional replacement cache storage.

Best,
Antoine