Hi ArmchairCryptologist,

Bitcoin is working as expected and I don't see any 'manipulation' attacks in
the bidding for block space. Maybe we aren't used to such demand for blockspace
on bitcoin. Additionally, fingerprinting based on fee rates and timing to
attribute transactions to a single person is inaccurate. Various services, such
as unisat, are used for deploying and minting BRC20 tokens based on region,
community etc. Consequently, a service broadcasting Bitcoin transactions might
appear as a single individual.

With regards to UTXO set, IBD for machines with enough RAM seems to be
unaffected, however I have not done benchmarking to compare IBD before and
after inscriptions with less dbcache. Also the number of full nodes have
increased in last one year.

> However, in practice, the attack appears to rely on exploiting the inherent
> decay used by fee estimation algorithms that are based on historical fee
> data. This causes many wallets to create transactions that overpay the
> necessarily next-block fee by a significant amount - for example, the morning
> after the 700 sat/vB flood on December 16th, Bitcoin Core was still giving a
> six-block estimate of 529 sat/vB even though <250 sat/vB transactions were
> being mined.

Bitcoin Core fee estimation has known issues since years, and I would not
recommended it for actual use, except for testing purposes.

Related discussion: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/27995

> My proposed solution to this would be to add partial transaction fee burning.

NACK

/dev/fd0
floppy disk guy

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.