Dear Pavol,

Thank you for your valuable perspective on the subject.
I fully appreciate the original design intentions of BIP39 and the importance
of maintaining interoperability and simplicity.
However, I'd like to share some thoughts in light of the concerns you've raised.

Regarding the potential fragmentation of the ecosystem, there are instances
where wallets use non-standard derivation paths, which can be a challenge for
users in terms of fund recovery.
Introducing a versioned mnemonic phrase, in my view, wouldn't necessarily
exacerbate this issue.
Instead, it might offer a more structured way to manage these variations.

In my proposal, I am not pushing for a change of the KDF.
Rather, I consider it as a possible route for future developments or adapting
to emerging standards.
I understand and share your concerns about the implications of such changes,
particularly in relation to hardware wallets.
I recognize the necessity of proceeding with caution to ensure that any
modifications do not compromise the interoperability and practical utility that
are central to the success of BIP39.
The goal is to initiate a discussion on evolving while preserving the integrity
and core functionality of BIP39.

I advocate for the evolution of mnemonic phrases in line with the standards
they aim to support.
This could include facilitating updates of versioned mnemonic phrases, by
either changing the KDF or by omitting the 32-bit version field when deriving
the seed.
Such flexibility could be essential for adapting to future needs and
technological advancements.

Moreover, it's apparent that many users are already managing multiple mnemonics
for different applications.
This reflects the varied needs and practices of users.
Developments like aezeed[1] or Electrum V2[2] also demonstrate that the
standard BIP39 entropy might not always suffice for specific applications,
leading to alternative standards being developed.
This reality underscores the need to consider ways to enhance the existing
system to more effectively accommodate these evolving requirements.

In summary, while I hold deep respect for the fundamental principles of BIP39,
I firmly believe that exploring the potential of versioned mnemonics can
effectively address the dynamic nature of user practices and application
demands, all while preserving the core strengths of the BIP39 standard.