Hi Jonas,

As it turns out, most of our size savings come from eliminating unneeded hashes
and public keys, which get recovered on decompression. gzip actually expands
transactions due to the way it attempts to compress pseudorandom data, my
numbers show a legacy transaction of 222 bytes being expanded to 267 bytes.

gzip can possibly shrink the 4-byte integers which have only a couple typical
values, and can eliminate some of the "boilerplate" in the tx format, but
that's pretty much it at the expense of expanding the signatures, public keys,
and hashes.

And your absolutely right this would have to be done at the application layer
in a V2-P2P encrypted traffic system.

Thanks-
Tom.