From what I understand the BIP uses a polling model, e.g. a miner would
use getmemorypool to request new work from a pool in intervals. Would it
make sense to specify a version of the API supporting long polling?

For BitcoinJS specifically, since we also support JSON-RPC over TCP, I'd
even be interested in a genuine "push" API. Something like C->S
"listenmemorypool", S->C "updatememorypool" (continually).