On 13 Sep 2012, at 16:16, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I'm still not seeing what the value is.  How is the tree level
> useful to anyone?  If you did want to get only parts of the
> transaction list, why not just ranges from the lowest level?

Obtaining a particular tree level allows you to verify segments without needing
to download all the transaction hashes first. You only need one hash per
segment. For instance if you want to divide the block into 8 segments you
specify level 3 and download 8 hashes. You could download all transaction
hashes if you wanted and it would still work, it just requires more data
transfer for the hashes. This was the reason why merkle trees were used in
bitcoin, to avoid requiring all hashes to verify data.