On 26/09/2012 13:49, Wladimir wrote:
> Steve,

Hi Wladimir,

>> So, currently there are 4 potential places for bugs to be
>> reported 1 - jenkins (and unit tests) 2 - git 3 - mailing list 4
>> - forum (bitcointalk...) 5? - is there still the ability to add
>> bugs via sourceforge?
>
> Currently github is the authoritative place to report issues. When
>  someone reports a bug on the mailing list, IRC or forum, they are
>  generally asked to make a github issue (or, someone else makes the
>  issue for them). Failed tests are generally also reported on
> github, by the pull tester.

excellent, that makes things much easier.

> We currently have 232 issues, mostly classified into categories
> such as "Bug", "Improvement", "GUI", "Wallet", and so on.
>
> Also it's easy to refer to github issues in commits with #123, with
> automatic linking.
>
> I'm not sure it is worth the effort to move to another system
> (especially if you need a another login etc...). But I'm probably
> misunderstanding what you're trying to do.

I think you might be misunderstanding a little. I am not trying to
replace the current system, I need to make sure that what I do will be
compatible with it (seamlessly so for the developer). I do not want this
to generate extra work for the development team.

However testing is a lot more than just bug reporting, dont get me
wrong bug reports are important, but so is running a testcase and that
testcase passing, especially if that testcase is linked to the proof
of a requirement. I am trying to develop a qa environment that is
conducive to testing and will allow the testers to shine in all their
glory :) and we need different tools and methodologies.

Git is too developer centric to be useful for organising testing. -
however there is a large amount of software that is compatible with
git, so the core development team only ever need to work with git.

The linking between a bug, the requirement, the fix, the retest, and
updating of regression testplan is vital. So is the ability to
organise testing campaigns and assigning tests, work units and test
relevant docs/scripts/ideas, etc.

I hope this clears things up a bit?

Cheers,

steve