On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 02:27:01PM -0700, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Roy Badami <r...@gnomon.org.uk> wrote:
> > The idea of the client detecting/warning about not-trivial forking
> > seems worthwhile too, though, assuming it doesn't already (AIUI it
> > doesn't).
>
> It does warn??? if its heard the fork and its on the lower difficulty
> side. Extending that to also alert if its on the winning side and the
> fork is long enough might be wise, though I have a little concern that
> it'll be mistaken to be more dependable than it would be.

Still, it would have meant that all 0.8 users would have immediatley
been told that something was wrong.  I don't know to what extent it
was luck that this was dealt with as promptly and efficiently as it
was, but to the extent that luck was involved, a slew of 0.8 users
shouting in various places "wtf is going on" couldn't but help in
reducing the element of luck if something similar were to happen again.

roy