Currently there are about 2,500 downloads a day for MultiBit.
There are download stats here:
https://multibit.org/awstats/awstats.pl?config=multibit.org

With a mirror from Mike and perhaps another instance at
multibit.org that would get us to 100K per day so probably
nothing to worry about.

I think the highest daily download stats I have seen were in the
April 2013 'boom' where Bitcoin-QT downloads hit 30K per day as
I recall.

The 30-40 MB including a JVM is based on the download sizes for
CharlesProxy.com which does this for their Windows downloads.
The sizes are here:
http://www.charlesproxy.com/download/

This is a Java codebase too.

Yes there must be an auto-update framework (but without
ECDSA signing most likely). I haven't spent much time on this
yet.