All that is good practice, but we should avoid adding burdensome
process that might discourage BIP writing.

Consider a distributed approach:  if you feel a draft needs more
sections or better language, submit a pull request yourself and help
community-edit the document.

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 3:34 AM, Martin Sustrik <sust...@250bpm.com> wrote:
> On 22/10/13 09:03, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM, Jean-Paul Kogelman
>> <jeanpaulkogel...@me.com> wrote:
>>> Have you seen: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Protocol_specification ?
>>
>> Take care, the information in the wiki is woefully incomplete.
>
> Imagine myself, with no prior knowledge of Bitcoin looking at the
> document. It starts with "Hashes". What hashes? No idea what's going on.
> Etc.
>
> Now compare that to a well written RFC. It starts with introduction,
> description of the problem, explains the conceptual model of the
> solution, then dives into the details. There's also Security
> Considerations part in every RFC that is pretty relevant for Bitcoin.
>
> As I said, I am willing to help with writing such document, it would be
> a nice way of learning the stuff, however, help from core devs, such as
> answering question that may arise in the process, or reviewing the
> document would be needed.
>
> Martin

Jeff Garzik
Senior Software Engineer and open source evangelist
BitPay, Inc.      https://bitpay.com/