The HTTP status code system seems to work well enough, and seems to give
the best of both worlds.  A 3 digit numeric code that is
machine-readable, and a freeform text note for humans.

The clever part about that system was in realizing that the numeric
codes didn't need to account for every possible error. They just need to
give the other node the most useful information, like "try that again
later, I'm having a temporary problem" vs. "That is just plain wrong and
it will still be wrong next time too, so don't bother to retry".

We can leave it to the humans to puzzle out the meaning of "403: values
of txid gives rise to dom!"