On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Peter Todd <p...@petertodd.org> wrote:

> The attacker now only needs to connect to every identified miner
> with especially fast nodes. With judicious use of DoS attacks and low
> latency .....

So you're back to a complicated sybil attack. I don't follow your thought
process here - I didn't say anything about numerical advantage. The attack
outlined in the paper *requires* you to be able to race the rest of the
network and win some non-trivial fraction of the time. If you can't do that
then all it means is that when you try to release a private block to
compete with the other found block, you're quite likely to lose and you
sacrifice the block rewards by doing so.

> The correct, and rational, approach for a miner is to always mine to
> extend the block that the majority of hashing power is trying to extend.

There's no stable way to know that. The whole purpose of the block chain to
establish the majority. I think your near-miss headers solution is
circular/unstable for that reason, it's essentially a recursive solution.

> Mining strategy is now to mine to extend the first block you see, on the
> assumption that the earlier one probably propagated to a large portion
> of the total hashing power. But as you receive "near-blocks" that are
> under the PoW target, use them to estimate the hashing power on each
> fork, and if it looks like you are not on the majority side, switch.

But you can't reliably estimate that. You can't even reliably estimate the
speed of the overall network especially not on a short term basis like a
block interval.