I really like the XBT idea.  It makes a lot of sense to match the ISO
currency symbol (though the ISO guys will have to adjust the way they've
defined the "XBT").  And I do agree that going right to uBTC and
skipping mBTC makes sense, too.

I'd prefer them not be called "micro bitcoins."  I really want to call
them "microbes" ... but I'm not sure that has the right flavor for money
transfer :)  "Please give me 872 microbes".  Perhaps we just call them
"bits."  Or even "micros" or "microbits".  As I write this, I realize
there's probably 872 threads on the forums about this already...

But we would want to promote a consistent term, to avoid further
confusion when people use different names for the new unit.  It's not
guaranteed to be successful, but if we pick a good name, and build it
into the interface on the first release pushing the new unit, we have a
chance to make the transition even easier.