I think the one thing that SSL does provide is some protection against ARP
or DNS poisoning to trick the user into downloading from a different site.

The PGP WoT surrounding bitcoin or OS related ISOs be weak - I am not sure
if I could even check it directly myself despite spending a few hours
tracking down keys and checking fingerprints of biz cards of core devs I met
in person, then that is a relevant point.

Adam