On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 9:36 AM, Matt Whitlock <b...@mattwhitlock.name> wrote:
> Are you proposing to switch from prime fields to a binary field? Because if
> you're going to "break up" a secret into little pieces, you can't assume that
> every piece of the secret will be strictly less than some 8-bit prime
> modulus. And if you're going to do a base conversion, then you have to do
> arbitrary-precision integer math anyway, so I don't see that the small field
> really saves you any code.

Yes, I'm proposing using the binary extension field of GF(2^8).  There
are many secret sharing and data integrity applications available
already operating over GF(2^8) so you can go compare implementation
approaches without having to try them our yourself. Obviously anything
efficiently encoded as bytes will efficiently encode over GF(2^8).

> Weren't you just clamoring for implementation *simplicity* in your previous
> paragraph? :)

I do think there is a material difference in complexity that comes in
layers rather than at a single point. It's much easier to implement a
complex thing that has many individually testable parts then a single
complex part. (Implementing arithmetic mod some huge P is quite a bit
of work unless you're using some very high level language with
integrated bignums— and are comfortable hoping that their bignums are
sufficiently consistent with the spec).