I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one concerned about the consistent
dropping of nodes. Though I think that the fundamental question should be: how
many nodes do we really need? Obviously more is better, but it's difficult to
say how concerned we should be without more information. I posted my thoughts
last month: http://coinchomp.com/2014/03/19/bitcoin-nodes-many-enough/

I have begun working on my node monitoring project and will post updates if it
results in me gaining any new insights about the network.

- Jameson