I think a warning like this is inappropriate.

There are many reasons to use an out of date operating system and high level
applications like wallets need not concern themselves with the rest of the
system.  Maybe the wallet can scan your browser cache and tell you to stop
visiting somesite.com too?

It just sounds like some kind of behavior modification that's being discussed
here.. not-so-subtly suggesting that users shell out money for a newer version
of the operating system, just to use their bitcoin wallets in a 'blessed'
configuration.  This actually sounds very similar to what happens with Apple
iPhones.. they somehow manage to 'invalidate' the charging cables and
accessories with every major software version.  One day an accessory is working
fine, then after the update users get a behavior modification nag every time
they use it, urging them to buy a new one.  Along these same lines, might as
well put a warning about the registry keys needing to be cleaned, and maybe a
'shock the money' banner[1].

You guys all know how it works with financial software - there are many
organizations using decades old software (and hardware) because they know its
shortcomings, they've taken care of them in a way that works them, and they
don't want to start all over just for the sake of having the newest version.

-Laszlo

[1] http://www.buzzfeed.com/adobe/obnoxious-banner-ads-that-everyone-remembers