On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Jorge Timón <jti...@monetize.io> wrote:

> So it seems a new mode only makes sense if the -private mode makes
> sense, which in turn only makes sense to include in bitcoind if it's
> useful enough for the network attack simulations, which remains the
> open question.

Unless I misunderstood what your private mode does, you can get the same
effect with -regtest by just controlling nodes connectivity. For example:

Start 2 nodes, connected to each other. Mine a -regtest chain they both
agree on.

Restart them so they're not connected.  Have one mine normally,
have the other  mine... however you like to simulate some attack (deep
chain re-org, double-spend,
whatever).

To simulate launching the attack, connect them together again, let the two
chains compete and see
what happens.

Gavin Andresen