I wouldn't mind having $5 of my money held at
Apple/Google/VISA/Mastercard/BitPay (and I wouldn't be sad of losing $5 if
any of these companies go bankrupt).
Actually I had in mind creating a centralized version of Bitcoin for
ultra-fast payments. With keeping all addresses on SSDs, asking for 1 cent
/ address month, 1 cent / transaction should be possible to reach even with
6x replication. Companies could compete in price as long as the API is
standardized. Automatic top-up should be simple as well.