On Thursday, 31 July 2014, at 7:28 pm, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 6:38 PM, Matt Whitlock <b...@mattwhitlock.name> wrote:
> > It would make more sense to introduce a new script opcode that pushes the
> > current block height onto the operand stack. Then you could implement
> > arbitrary logic about which blocks the transaction can be valid in. This
> > would require that the client revalidate all transactions in its mempool
> > (really, only those making use of this opcode) whenever the chain tip
> > changes.
>
> Transactions that become invalid later are have pretty severe
> consequences because they might mean that completely in an absence of
> fraud transactions are forever precluded due to a otherwise harmless
> reorg.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't understand why it's a problem.
Transactions shouldn't be considered "final" until a reasonable number of
confirmations anyway, so the possibility that an "accepted" transaction could
become invalid due to a chain reorganization is not a new danger. Ordinary
transactions can similarly become invalid due to chain reorganizations, due to
inputs already having been spent in the new branch.