> AFAIK the only protection is SSL + certificate validation on client side.
> However certificate revocation and updates in miners are pain in the ass,
> that's why majority of pools (mine including) don't want to play with
> that...

Why would miners need updates? If they implement the standard SSL
infrastructure you can change certificates and keys without needing to
update miners.

Besides, when it comes to financial services SSL is essential, I'm kind of
surprised it wasn't already used everywhere. I wouldn't use an online bank
that didn't support SSL, I would see it as a a sign of serious problems.
Heck I wouldn't even use webmail that didn't support SSL these days.