I like the proposal.

I suggest that applications and nodes should only broadcast transactions
having OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY a few blocks after the timeout value.
If a node broadcasts a TX having OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY and nLockTime is
equal to the current height and equal to the timeout value, but that
peer is one block behind in the blockchain, the transaction will be
rejected by the peer and the source will be banned.

Another option will be not to ban peers sending transactions failing to
verify OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY , but I don't like this.

Still another option would be that the sender checks periodically the
height of it's peers (using the version command) in order to be sure to
send the transaction having OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY only to the peers
that are up to date with the blockchain.

Regards,
 Sergio.