Moving further with the Idea:

Alternative to re-adjusting the lottery criteria, the side chain block
candidate could be required to prove a work to be eligible for the burn
lottery.

A mix of required burn, work and luck could be tailored to achieve the desired
"51% resilience” of the side chain.

The side chain could use work for regular blocks and a much higher “difficulty”
parent chain burn lottery for less frequent “checkpoints".

Eg. the side chain difficulty of 1/n of Bitcoin is attainable for a small side
chain miner community to advance its chain at Bitcoin’s speed. Simultaneously
the block candidates
would be submitted to a Bitcoin burn lottery with 1/n odds, so the security of
the side chain roughly equals that of Bitcoin at every successful burn mined
checkpoint.

Tamas Blummer
Bits of Proof