> See vanitygen. Yes, 8 characters can be brute forced.

Thank you for this reference.  Interesting to see that there is a tool to
generate a vanity bitcoin address.

I am still researching viruses that are designed to manipulate a bitcoin
address.  I suspect they are primitive in that they use a hardcoded rogue
bitcoin address as opposed to dynamically generating one.

As a start, this would help protect against malware that uses a static rogue
bitcoin address.  The next thing would be for the malware to brute-force the
legitimate bitcoin address and generate a rogue bitcoin address that would
produce the same 8 digit code.  Curious to know how long this brute force would
take?  Or perhaps, before converting to 8 digits there is some other hashing
function that is performed.

Brian Erdelyi