Arriving slightly late to the discussion, apologies.

Personally I wouldn't have written that patch, but I know development of
hostile patches happens out of sight, and if it can be written, we have
to presume it will be written eventually. I'd have preferred a patch
that only replaced non-final txes, which is the use-case I have for
transaction replacement, but that's easy to add back in.

I'm certainly not terribly convinced of the security of vanilla
zero-confirmation transactions myself, for reasons including but not
limited to this case. I also think it's important to understand that
people do make irrational decisions, and trusting network security on
everyone behaving perfectly rationally is not a workable model either.

TLDR; me too

Ross

On 12/02/15 20:36, Allen Piscitello wrote:
> You keep making moral judgements.  Reality is, if you live in a world with
> arsonists, you need to have a building that won't catch on fire, or has
> fire extinguishers in place.  Do not depend on arsonists ignoring you
> forever as your security model.  Penetration testing to know what
> weaknesses exist, what limitations exist, and what can be improved is
> essential.  Keeping your head in the sand and hoping people choose to do
> the right thing only ends one way.
>
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 1:52 PM, Justus Ranvier <justusranv...@riseup.net>
> wrote:

> If there's a risk of fire burning down wooden buildings, pass out fire
> extinguishers and smoke detectors, not matches.
>
> The latter makes one an arsonist.

>> your
>> hub for all things parallel software development, from weekly thought
>> leadership blogs to news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more.
Take a