Checkpoints will be replaced by compiled-in 'at THIS timestamp the main chain
had THIS much proof of work.'

That is enough information to prevent attacks and still allow optimizations
like skipping signature checking for ancient transactions.

I don't think anybody is proposing replacing checkpoints with nothing.

--
Gavin Andresen