Normalized transaction ids are only effectively non-malleable when all
inputs they refer to are also non-malleable (or you can have malleability
in 2nd level dependencies), so I do not believe it makes sense to allow
mixed usage of the txids at all. They do not provide the actual benefit of
guaranteed non-malleability before it becomes disallowed to use the old
mechanism. That, together with the +- resource doubling needed for the UTXO
set (as earlier mentioned) and the fact that an alternative which is only a
softfork are available, makes this a bad idea IMHO.

Unsure to what extent this has been presented on the mailinglist, but the
softfork idea is this:
* Transactions get 2 txids, one used to reference them (computed as
before), and one used in an (extended) sighash.
* The txins keep using the normal txid, so not structural changes to
Bitcoin.
* The ntxid is computed by replacing the scriptSigs in inputs by the empty
string, and by replacing the txids in txins by their corresponding ntxids.
* A new checksig operator is softforked in, which uses the ntxids in its
sighashes rather than the full txid.
* To support efficiently computing ntxids, every tx in the utxo set
(currently around 6M) stores the ntxid, but only supports lookup bu txid
still.

This does result in a system where a changed dependency indeed invalidates
the spending transaction, but the fix is trivial and can be done without
access to the private key.